2018 EASTERN Regional fall conference
"Heightened Scrutiny - Preparing Officers and Directors for this
New Era of Accountability"
September 26, 2018
Ethics Program & Welcome Reception
Covington & Burling
620 8th Avenue
New York, New York
September 27 and 28, 2018
The Time Warner Center
58th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues
New York, New York
REGISTER NOW AND JOIN YOUR COLLEAGUES - Begin to plan for the 2019 proxy season and prepare your management team and board of directors for this new accountability by hearing from the Director of the SEC’s Division of Corporation Finance, governance experts, investors, corporate directors and your peers - all while earning Ethics and CLE credit.
LAST YEAR'S FALL CONFERENCE WAS SOLD OUT - REGISTER EARLY TO AVOID BEING DISAPPOINTED!!
WE ARE APPLYING FOR CLE CREDITS
(INCLUDING 2 HOURS OF ETHICS CREDITS, INCLUDING 1 HOUR of D&I)
At this year's Conference, you will have the opportunity to hear two one-hour panels of experts on Wednesday earning you ETHICS credits!
Note to New York Bar members - New York has instituted a new Diversity, Inclusion and Elimination of Bias (D&I) CLE requirement for experienced attorneys, effective January 1, 2018. Experienced attorneys who are due to re-register on or after July 1, 2018 must complete at least one (1) credit hour in D & I. Our Ethics Program will satisfy this requirement!
Then from Thursday morning to Friday afternoon, join us for an exciting mix of panel discussions, interviews and addresses, including:
- Defining Your Approach to Sustainability: Practical Considerations from the Inside – Developing the right approach to sustainability is a key challenge facing companies. This panel discussion will sort through conflicting standards, shareholder priorities, key messages and communications techniques. Featuring Cora Lee Mooney, Partner, Brown Flynn; Yafit Cohn, Associate Group General Counsel, The Travelers Companies, Inc.; Catherine Winner, Vice President and Head of Stewardship, Goldman Sachs; and Jessica Olich, former Vice President, Assistant Secretary and Corporate Counsel, Assurant, Inc.
- Disclosure 2018 and Beyond – From cybersecurity practices to human capital policies, the demands on companies to disclose are expanding and evolving. A panel of experienced experts will review the most recent proxy season and discuss best practices. Moderated by Aaron Briggs, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher.
- The Places You’ll Grow: Career Paths for Corporate Secretaries – “Alumni” of the Corporate Secretary’s seat discuss where it took them and what they’ve done since. Featuring Neila Radin, Senior Vice President and Associate General Counsel, JPMorgan Chase; Matt Furman, General Counsel, Willis Towers Watson; Eric Sherbet, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, IQVIA; and Christine DeBiase, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Administrative Officer, Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- Board Composition Under Scrutiny – Do You Have What It Takes? – Shareholders are increasingly focused on board diversity, skills and refreshment. This panel will offer various perspectives on building your board for the future. Featuring Eric Dale, Chief Legal Officer, Nielsen, and Chair of the Nominating and Governance Committee, Bankwell Financial Group; Eunice Yang, Senior Counsel, Corporate Governance, PepsiCo, Inc.; Yumi Narita, Vice President of Investment Stewardship, BlackRock; Ann Yerger, Corporate Governance Specialist at Spencer Stuart, and Director, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts Company; Tanuja Dehne, Director, Advanced Disposal Services, Inc., and Granite Point Mortgage Trust, Inc.
- Managing the Message: Media Imperatives for Corporate Governance Professionals – With companies, their executives and boards under increasing scrutiny, developing and executing the appropriate strategy messaging is more important than ever. Corporate secretaries are on the front line and must support and protect their directors and executives, while balancing concerns of public perceptions, confidentiality, and disclosure requirements. This discussion will sort it all out. Featuring Paul Washington, Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Time Warner; Brian Breheny, Partner, Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom; and Ida Hoghooghi, Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer Corporate Communications, Goldman Sachs.
- SEC Update: A Discussion with Bill Hinman – The Director of the SEC’s Division of Corporation Finance will be interviewed by Jared Brandman, Chair of the Society’s Securities Law Committee.
- Artificial Intelligence - Coming to an Office Near You – A panel of experts will help introduce, explain and unravel this exploding and confusing topic. Featuring Peter Krause, Assistant General Counsel and Assistant Secretary, Microsoft; Luis Vilarin, Vice President and Global Head GPS (Manufacturing & Product Development) and EHS (Environmental) Law, Bristol-Myers Squibb.
On Wednesday, September 26, 2018, there will be an Ethics Program from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm, followed by a Welcome Reception for Conference attendees, from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm, at the New York City Offices of Covington & Burling.
The conference program will begin at 8:30 am on Thursday, September 27, 2018 and end by 3:00 pm on Friday, September 28, 2018. The Conference will also include a Cocktail/Dinner Reception for attendees on Thursday evening at the Time Warner Center.
Registration will be available starting at 4:00 pm on Wednesday, as well as starting breakfast at 7:30 am on Thursday and Friday.
Here is what you need to do now:
Last year's conference sold out and we were forced to turn away late registrants. You should register now to avoid being disappointed.
If you need accommodations for the Conference, make your hotel reservation directly with The Michelangelo, 152 West 51st Street. When making a reservation please call (212) 765-0505, Monday - Friday 9:00 am – 6:00 pm. Room rates are $435.00 per night plus current taxes and are valid from September 26th - September 28th. Room reservations must be made directly with the hotel by 3:00 pm, Eastern Time, on September 5, 2018. Attendees should request the group rate by stating they are with the Society for Corporate Governance. Please reserve soon. Last year we sold out!
Register here for the Conference no later than 3 pm on September 11, 2018. Anytime before September 13 at 4 PM, we will honor a cancellation and return all registration fees if e-mailed to Tracie L.Vicki at email@example.com. Conference registration forms, links to the hotel website and more information is posted at the Society's website.
We look forward to seeing you in NYC!
Jacob M. Jenkelowitz, President, New York Chapter
Emily Epstein, Vice President and Program Chair, New York Chapter
Please do not reply to this automated email message directly. If you have registration questions, please contact Tracie L Vicki at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 234-7201.
Click here for the New York Chapter's Financial Hardship Guidelines.