|7:30 - 8:30 am
|7:30 am - 5:00 pm
|7:30 am - 5:30 pm
|8:15 - 8:30 am
Welcome & Introductions
Darla C. Stuckey
President & CEO
Society for Corporate Governance
Margaret Shukur (Seminar Chair)
Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
Lionbridge Technologies, Inc.
|8:30 - 9:30 am
General Session: Fundamentals of Corporate Governance & Sources of Authority
»What is "corporate governance?"
»Overview of relevant state (Delaware) and federal laws
»Board fiduciary duties and business judgment rule
»Overview of significant case law
»What constitutes "good governance"
»Articles of incorporation, by-laws, delegations of authority and charters
»Policies, codes of conduct and governance principles
• Brian V. Breheny (Leader), Partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
• Stacey K. Geer, Executive Vice President, Chief Governance Officer, Deputy General Counsel, Primerica
|9:30 - 10:30 am
General Session: Internal Sources of and Limits on Governance Authority
»Articles of Incorporation
»Delegations of Authority
»Resolutions and Consents
»Corporate Governance Principles
»Code of Business Conduct
• Lori I. Zyskowski (Leader), Partner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
• Raj B. Dave, Chief Securities Counsel & Assistant Corporate Secretary, Newell Brands
|10:30 - 10:45 am
|10:45 - 11:45 am
General Session: Board & Committee Meetings: Best Practices
»Number of meetings
»Forward looking schedules
»Logistical support (travel, lodging, food)
»Scripts and follow-up
• Kerri Riley Ansello (Leader), Assistant Vice President & Senior Counsel, Sun Life Financial Inc.
• Shelley J. Dropkin, Deputy Corporate Secretary & General Counsel, Corporate Governance, Citigroup Inc.
• Jeffrey Pochowicz, Director & Senior Counsel, Discover Financial Services
″ David G. Schwartz, Senior Vice President, Chief Securities Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Sotheby's
|11:45 am- 1:30 pm
Luncheon & Address: "My Life as a Corporate Secretary"
• Douglas M. Hagerman, Retired Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary, Rockwell Automation, Inc.
|1:30 - 2:15 pm
General Session: Board Materials and Preparation
»Timeline for materials preparation
»Review and approval of board materials
»Mailing and/or uploading to your portal
»Evolution of portals, and best use now
• Lori B. Marino (Leader), Vice President, Deputy General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, ITT Inc.
• Kevin Williams, Vice President, Assistant General Counsel & Assistant Secretary, AutoZone, Inc.
|2:15 - 3:30 pm
General Session: Taking Minutes
»Draft and review process
»Review by auditors or regulators
• Michelle L. Potter (Leader), Corporate Secretary, Santander Holdings USA, Inc.
• Virginia Fogg, General Counsel, Norfolk Southern Corporation
• Timothy Ring, Senior Vice President & Associate General Counsel, MetLife, Inc.
|3:30 - 4:00 pm
|4:00 - 4:45 pm
General Session: Annual Meetings I
» Proxy statement drafting, schedule & logistics
» Notice and Access and mailing
» Dealing with management and shareholder proposals
» Reviewing proxy advisory firm recommendations
• Mary Lou Weber (Leader), Assistant General Counsel, Verizon Communications Inc.
• Craig Brown, Assistant Corporate Secretary, Senior Managing Counsel, MasterCard Incorporated
• Hagen J. Ganem, Associate, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
|4:45 - 5:30 pm
General Session: Annual Meetings II
» Scripts, agendas, briefing books, logistics
» Soliciting proxies, tabulating and reporting the vote
» Virtual meetings
• Courtney S. Kamlet (Leader), Senior Corporate Counsel, INC Research, LLC
• Katherine R. Kelly, Vice President, Associate General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
• Adam R. Kokas, Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Secretary & Chief Human Resources Officer, Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, Inc.
|5:30 - 6:30 pm
for Essentials attendees & faculty
sponsored by Diligent